Laughter is the best medicine. It is fun to share a good laugh. Laughter is a strong medicine. It draws people together in ways that trigger healthy physical and emotional changes in the body. Laughter strengthens your immune system, boosts mood, diminishes pain and protects us from the damaging effects of stress. Nothing works faster to bring your body and mind into balance than a good laugh. It helps release anger and forgive. Children laugh hundreds of times a day and as adults laughter tends to be more infrequent as we take things more seriously. By seeking opportunities for humor and laughter we are improving our emotional health and strengthening our relationships, finding a greater happiness and even adding years to our lives.
How do we laugh during the pandemic? In moments of stress or overwhelm, I have found myself using memes, YouTube videos, listening to a contrafactum, watching a sitcom, comedy, and funny quotes to get me through. More than just a respite from sadness and pain, laughter gives us the courage and strength to find new meaning and hope. There is nothing like knowing we are not alone in our physical, mental and emotional struggles. Sharing humor is half the fun. The social aspect of humor plays an important role in balancing our nervous system and putting the brakes on our defensive mechanisms.
How to bring more laughter into your life?
1. You can enjoy a laugh together by creating a group text with friends and sharing funny things you find on YouTube, memes, funny movie, or TV show.
2. Smile. Smiling is the beginning of laughter and it is contagious. Practice smiling instead of looking down at your phone.
3. Count your blessings. Literally make a list. The simple act of considering the positive aspects of your life will distance you from negative thoughts that block out humor.
4. When you hear laughter, move toward it. Sometimes humor and laughter are private. More often, people are very happy to share something funny because it gives them an opportunity to laugh again.
5. Spend time with fun and playful people. These are people who laugh easily. Both at themselves and life’s absurdities. Seek out the people who are light hearted.
6. Bring humor into conversation. What is the funniest thing that happened today? This week? Your life?
Laughter, humor and play take you to a higher place where you can view the world from a more relaxed, positive and joyful perspective. What are things that bring you laughter?